Our HistoryMay 18, 2022 2022-05-18 11:30
Early 1930s: We introduced the TRANSFUSO-VAC container for blood collection and storage, which made blood banking practical and allowed storage for up to 21 days.
1941: We brought to market the PLASMA-VAC container, which for the first time allowed plasma to be separated from whole blood for storage.
1948: We launched an unbreakable plastic container for blood storage.
1950: Our second U.S. manufacturing facility opened in Cleveland, Mississippi. Two years later, we became the first U.S. company to make commercially available human plasma following our acquisition of Hyland Laboratories.
1954: We went international, opening an office in Belgium. Two years later, Dutch physician Willem Kolff developed the first “artificial kidney,” which was made from wood slats, orange juice cans and a cellophane membrane. Building from his work, we produced the first commercial dialysis system later that year.
1958: Wayne Quinton, along with Dr. Robert Bruce, developed the cardiac stress machine. This was the start of Quinton Instruments, a pioneer in medical devices including treadmills and cardiac diagnostic equipment, which is still being used today.
1960: We introduced the first peritoneal dialysis (PD) solution. PD filters waste from the blood of people in renal failure through their peritoneal membrane rather than an external dialyzer. A year later, we began trading on the New York Stock Exchange.